Dunedin is wonderful city, with a fantastic future. But right now that future is vulnerable: vulnerable economically, environmentally and socially. Dunedin’s community has never been more disillusioned with how Council makes decisions, how it listens, or not, to the community, how Council takes responsibility, or not, for major spending decisions with long-term consequences. These are consequences that include maxing out Councils and Council company debt, so that the companies may not be able to pay expected dividends to the ratepayers in the next few years! It is that bad.
The challenges ahead are considerable. But we can achieve that fantastic future. We have to. We can achieve it if we replace secrecy with transparent processes and provide responsible leadership that listens and is up-front with the community about debt and costs. If we do that we can turn disillusion into a shared and inclusive vision for the city.
So imagine what YOU want Dunedin to be like in 20 years.
Imagine Dunedin with:
• a thriving economy featuring high value jobs and businesses that keep families living here
• suburbs of well-built, healthy houses
• streets of beautiful, rejuvenated heritage buildings being put to productive use
• renewable resources being utilized for lower cost energy.
• measures already taken to address climate change and peak oil
• well maintained civic amenities not saddled by a mountain of debt that ratepayers have to repay
• top notch infrastructure including comprehensive Broadband coverage everywhere
• a smooth coordinated public transport system and cycle and pedestrian network
• an accessible and well-protected surrounding environment full of nature’s treasures
Previous Councils and this current one, have not tried to imagine such a future and not planned to achieve it. They have ticked the boxes of bland Council vision statements, reacted to pet ideas dished up by special interest groups, and lurched from one to the next, piling a huge debt on all our shoulders in the process. At the same time some of our suburbs are mouldering from neglect; our digital infrastructure is falling behind other NZ communities; jobs are ebbing away and families are leaving for greener pastures.
I and my team want to help turn that all around. We want to take our city’s future back. There have been three Greater Dunedin Councillors on Council this past term. It hasn’t been enough to achieve what was needed. So I have brought together a team of talented, intelligent candidates with a diverse range of interests and experiences, but with one common goal – working together for our City’s future!
I am offering myself for the mayoralty. My colleagues are putting themselves forward for Council. There is a lot to be done. There are many community voices to be listened to, young and old.
For the community’s sake, for your children’s future, you need to vote our team in to replace this Council. Dunedin needs new blood, new thinking, new energy, new people.
Vote for a Greater Dunedin Mayor and Council